We’ve begun updating our posts featuring end-of-the-year awards season winners and nominees, in addition to various Top Ten lists. So, below you’ll find the top ten films of 2013 according to the iconic French magazine Cahiers du Cinéma, which announced its selections in late November.
Now, what was Cahiers du Cinéma‘s top movie of 2013? The answer is Alain Guiraudie’s gay erotic thriller Stranger by the Lake / L’inconnu du lac, about a young man (Pierre de Ladonchamps) who falls in lust with a suspected murderer (Christophe Paou). Back in the spring, Stranger by the Lake won the Queer Palm at the Cannes Film Festival.
‘Cahiers du Cinéma’ top ten list: Several curious picks
The Cahiers du Cinéma top ten list features several surprising choices, perhaps most notably the inclusion of two generally well-regarded but highly commercial Hollywood movies: Alfonso Cuarón’s Gravity and Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln. No; I take that back. After all, J.J. Abrams’ Super 8 was one of Cahiers du Cinéma‘s Top Ten movies of 2011, while Clint Eastwood’s Gran Torino and Quentin Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds were included on the 2009 list.
Come to think of it, the Cahiers du Cinéma critics’ most surprising pick this year was Harmony Korine’s Girls Gone Wild thriller Spring Breakers — starring the likes of Vanessa Hudgens, Selena Gomez, and a gold-toothed, tattooed James Franco — as the second best movie of 2013.
Last year, the Cahiers du Cinéma‘s top movies were two (quite literally) white limo efforts: Leos Carax’s Holy Motors, starring Denis Lavant, and featuring Edith Scob, Kyle Minogue, Eva Mendes, and Michel Piccoli; and David Cronenberg’s Cosmopolis, starring Robert Pattinson, and featuring Juliette Binoche, Paul Giamatti, Sarah Gadon, Samantha Morton, Jay Baruchel, and Mathieu Amalric.
‘Cahiers du Cinéma’: Top Ten films of 2013
- 1. Stranger by the Lake / L’inconnu du lac (Alain Guiraudie), with Pierre de Ladonchamps and Christophe Paou.
- 2. Spring Breakers (Harmony Korine), with Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, James Franco, Ashley Benson, Rachel Korine.
- 3. Blue is the Warmest Color / La vie d’Adèle (Abdellatif Kechiche), with Adèle Exarchopoulos, Léa Seydoux.
- 4. Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón), with Sandra Bullock, George Clooney.
- 5. A Touch of Sin (Jia Zhangke), with Jiang Wu, Vivien Li, Luo Lanshan, Wang Baoqiang.
- 6. Lincoln (Steven Spielberg), with Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones.
- 7. Jealousy / La jalousie (Philippe Garrel), with Louis Garrel, Anna Mouglalis.
- 8. Nobody’s Daughter Haewon / Haewon et les hommes (Hong Sang-soo), with Eun-Chae Jeong and Lee Seon-gyun.
- 9. You and the Night / Les rencontres d’après minuit (Yann Gonzalez), with Laetitia Dosch and Vincent Macaigne.
- 10. Age of Panic / La bataille de Solférino (Justine Triet), with Kate Moran, Niels Schneider, Nicolas Maury, Eric Cantona.
Stranger by the Lake poster image: Les films du losange.