I’m So Excited, the Pedro Almodóvar comedy starring Javier Cámara, Lola Dueñas, Cecilia Roth, trailed only Sam Raimi / James Franco’s Oz the Great and Powerful at the Spanish box office this past weekend. For comparison’s sake, below are the Spanish and worldwide box-office figures of the Pedro Almodóvar movies released so far this century, via figures found at Box Office Mojo. (Photo: Super-campy flight attendants Javier Cámara, Raúl Arévalo, and Carlos Areces in Pedro Almodóvar’s I’m So Excited.)
- In March 2013, I’m So Excited / Los amantes pasajeros opened with $2.5 million at 298 locations.
- In September 2011, The Skin I Live In / La piel que habito, starring Antonio Banderas and Elena Anaya, opened with $1.73 million at 287 locations. The Skin I Live In went on to gross $6.18 million in Spain. Worldwide total (possibly incomplete): $30.84m. Top markets: Spain, France with $5.72 million, the US/Canada with $3.18 million, Brazil with $2.89 million, and Italy with $2.43m.
- In March 2009, Broken Embraces / Los abrazos rotos, starring Penélope Cruz and Lluís Homar, opened with $1.72 million at 247 locations. Broken Embraces went on to gross $5.79 million in Spain. Worldwide total (partial list): $30.99m.
- In March 2006, Volver, starring Penélope Cruz, Carmen Maura, and Lola Dueñas, opened with $2.17 million at 228 sites. Volver went on to gross $12.24 million in Spain. Worldwide total: $85.58m. Top markets: France with $17 million, the US/Canada with $12.89 million, Spain, Italy with $8.64 million, and Germany with $5.97m.
- In March 2004, Bad Education / La mala educación, starring Gael García Bernal and Fele Martínez, opened with $2.17 million at 228 sites. Bad Education went on to gross $7.35 million in Spain. Worldwide total: $40.27m. Top markets: Spain, France with $6.64 million, Italy with $5.38 million, the US/Canada with $5.21 million, and Mexico with $3.47m.
- The eventual Best Original Screenplay Academy Award winner Talk to Her / Hable con ella, starring Javier Cámara, Darío Grandinetti, and Leonor Watling, opened in Spain in March 2002. Opening weekend figures are unavailable at Box Office Mojo, though Talk to Her ultimately raked in $6.08 million in Spain. Worldwide total (possibly incomplete): $51m. Top markets: the US/Canada with $9.28 million, France with $9.26 million, Spain, Italy with $5.26 million, and Germany with $1.94m.
According to the IMDb, also this month I’m So Excited opens in France, Argentina, Hungary, Greece, Italy, and Belgium. In April, it’ll add Chile, Mexico, Bulgaria, Poland, and Portugal. In May: The UK (3), the Netherlands (23), and Russia. In June: Hong Kong (13) and the US (28). And Brazil in September (13).
Javier Cámara, Raúl Arévalo, and Carlos Areces in Pedro Almodóvar’s I’m So Excited photo: Sony Pictures Classics.