As much as I liked the German poster for Bel Ami, the American Bel Ami poster – a sort of reboot of the German version – is even classier thanks to the stylish background. Also, notice that it's the same Robert Pattinson image, but all three leading ladies have had their pictures changed. [Bel Ami extended scenes.]
For Uma Thurman, they kept the face but altered the hair and the dress; we now get some cleavage. Kristin Scott Thomas is wearing the same dress, but here she's looking straight at the camera (or at you, looking at the poster). Christina Ricci is wearing what I believe is the same dress, but here her garment is much more brightly colored than in the German poster. Also, like Scott Thomas, Ricci is looking is straight at the camera. In the German poster, both Scott Thomas and Ricci were looking sideways. [Bel Ami trailer.]
In the United States, Bel Ami will be available on VOD on May 4. Magnolia Pictures will distribute the period comedy-drama in US theaters on June 8.
Directed by stage veterans (but film newcomers) Declan Donnellan and Nick Ormerod, Bel Ami was adapted by Rachel Bennette from Guy de Maupassant's classic 19th-century novel. The film's cast also includes Colm Meaney, Natalie Tena, Holliday Grainger, Pip Torrens, James Lance, and Todd Peterson.
Also this year, Robert Pattinson will be seen in two other movies:
- David Cronenberg's likely Cannes Film Festival entry Cosmopolis, with A Dangerous Method's Sarah Gadon, Chocolat / Hidden's Juliette Binoche, Sideways / Win Win's Paul Giamatti, Minority Report / In America's Samantha Morton, Real Steel / X-Men Origins: Wolverine's Kevin Durand, A Christmas Tale / The Diving Bell and the Butterfly's Mathieu Amalric, and The Sorcerer's Apprentice / How to Train Your Dragon's Jay Baruchel.
- Bill Condon's The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 opens in mid-November. In addition to Pattinson, Kristen Stewart (who may also be at Cannes with Walter Salles' On the Road), and Taylor Lautner, Breaking Dawn 2 features Elizabeth Reaser, Peter Facinelli, Dakota Fanning, Nikki Reed, Ashley Greene, Kellan Lutz, Jackson Rathbone, Booboo Stewart, Billy Burke, and others.
Kristin Scott Thomas is featured with Emily Blunt and Ewan McGregor in Lasse Hallström's Salmon Fishing in Yemen, which opened a few weeks ago in the United States. Scott Thomas should next be seen in François Ozon's thriller Dans la maison / In the House (she replaced Juliette Binoche), playing opposite Emmanuelle Seigner and Denis Menochet.
Christina Ricci's next will possibly be Sarah Spillane's Around the Clock, while Uma Thurman has three movies lined up:
- Oliver Stone's Savages, with John Carter's Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch, Blake Lively, Salma Hayek, John Travolta, Demián Bichir, Aaron Johnson, Benicio Del Toro, Joel David Moore, Mia Maestro, Trevor Donovan;
- Gabriele Muccino's Playing the Field, with Gerard Butler, Judy Greer, Jessica Biel, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Dennis Quaid;
- and the omnibus all-star comedy Movie 43, with Gerard Butler, Emma Stone, Elizabeth Banks, Kate Winslet, Hugh Jackman, Kristen Bell, Seann William Scott, Kate Bosworth, Chloë Grace Moretz, Anna Faris, Naomi Watts, Richard Gere, Josh Duhamel, Justin Long, Liev Schreiber, and others.