Marion Cotillard naked and screaming in 'Psycho' shower scene
A few years ago – more exactly, in Feb./March 2008 – Vanity Fair published a series of images honoring Alfred Hitchcock movies made in Hollywood. (His British oeuvre was completely ignored.) The images weren't from the movies themselves; instead, they were somewhat faithful recreations featuring early 21st century stars, including several of that year's Oscar nominees. And that's why you get to see above – and further below – a wet and nude Marion Cotillard recreating the iconic Psycho shower scene.
Cotillard took home the Best Actress Oscar at the 2008 ceremony for her performance as Edith Piaf in Olivier Dahan's La Vie en Rose / La môme. 1950s peaches-and-cream heroine Janet Leigh, the original star of Hitchcock's Psycho, was shortlisted for the 1960 Best Supporting Actress Oscar, but lost to another good-girl-gone-bad: Shirley Jones as a sex worker in Richard Brooks' Elmer Gantry.
More nudity, less horror
Looking at the Marion Cotillard Psycho images, which were circulating on Facebook earlier today (Dec. 18, '15), a couple of things come to mind:
- Janet Leigh opened her mouth much wider; in other words, her scream must have been more genuinely horrific. (Perhaps Cotillard wasn't screaming at all; maybe she just had her mouth open.)
- We get to see quite a bit more skin in the 2008 Psycho recreation than in the 1960 movie.
As an aside, Jamie Lee Curtis – daughter of Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis – recently recreated Leigh's Psycho shower scream – mouth wide open – right in time for Halloween. You can see it further below.
Hollywood 21st century: Seth Rogen as Cary Grant?
The other images in the Vanity Fair Hitchcock series range from what if… (Naomi Watts in the Tippi Hedren role in Marnie; Jodie Foster in the Hedren role in The Birds) to good thing they weren't available (or, in most cases, born) at the time.
The other actors featured in the Alfred Hitchcock homage were:
- Emile Hirsch and James McAvoy as Farley Granger and Robert Walker in Strangers on a Train.
- Keira Knightley and Jennifer Jason Leigh as Joan Fontaine and Judith Anderson in Rebecca.
- Charlize Theron as Grace Kelly in Dial M for Murder.
- Seth Rogen as Cary Grant in North by Northwest.
- Renée Zellweger as Kim Novak in Vertigo.
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Robert Downey Jr. as Grace Kelly and Cary Grant in To Catch a Thief.
- Scarlett Johansson and Javier Bardem as Grace Kelly and James Stewart in Rear Window.
- Tang Wei, Josh Brolin, Casey Affleck, Eva Marie Saint (Hitchcock's leading lady in North by Northwest), Ben Foster, Omar Metwally, and Julie Christie as (more or less) Walter Slezak, Mary Anderson, Hume Cronyn, Tallulah Bankhead, John Hodiak, William Bendix, Heather Angel, Henry Hull, and Canada Lee in Lifeboat.
More Marion Cotillard 'Psycho' images
Check out a few more Marion Cotillard Psycho images below.
Jamie Lee Curtis Psycho shower scream was recreated for the series Scream Queens, featuring Curtis, Lea Michele, Emma Roberts, and Skyler Samuels.