'The Hobbit' movies: Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins
Actor Martin Freeman is seen above as Bilbo Baggins, the hero in Peter Jackson's upcoming The Hobbit movies. The still was published on USA Today along with several other images from upcoming (potential) blockbusters.
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which comes out Dec. 14.
- The Hobbit: There and Back Again to be released in late 2013.
'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy
Ten years ago, Peter Jackson had three consecutive blockbusters with the Lord of the Rings movies:
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001).
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002).
- Best Picture Oscar winner The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003).
Since then, Jackson's box office performance has been erratic, as King Kong (2005) turned out to be a disappointment – in relation to its $207 million cost and ape-high expectations – while the fantastical crime drama The Lovely Bones (2009), starring Saoirse Ronan, Rachel Weisz, and Mark Wahlberg, was both a critical and box office flop.
We'll see if Jackson will recover his former box office glory with another Tolkien movie adaptation.
Medieval fantasy adventures
Of interest is that this year's The Hobbit will be preceded by – at least – two medieval-like fantasy adventures:
- Rupert Sanders' Snow White and the Huntsman, starring The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 actress Kristen Stewart, Young Adult actress Charlize Theron, and Thor star Chris Hemsworth.
- Tarsem Singh's Mirror Mirror, with Best Actress Oscar winner Julia Roberts (Erin Brockovich) as the Evil Queen, The Blind Side actress Lily Collins as Snow White, and The Social Network actor Armie Hammer as Prince Charming.
That means there'll be some heavy-duty competition come Oscar time for the Best Costume Design, Best Art Direction, and Best Cinematography categories.
'The Hobbit' movies' cast
In addition to Martin Freeman, the two Hobbit movies feature the following:
Ian McKellen (once again as Gandalf). Cate Blanchett. Elijah Wood. Orlando Bloom. Christopher Lee. Stephen Fry. Richard Armitage. Lee Pace. Evangeline Lilly. Luke Evans. Andy Serkis. Hugo Weaving. Ian Holm. Barry Humphries. Mikael Persbrandt. Upcoming Star Trek Benedict Cumberbatch.