George Eastman House movies: Max Ophüls dramas ‘The Reckless Moment’ and ‘Caught’
Located in Rochester, New York, the George Eastman House has been preserving movies for decades. In addition to its film preservation work, the Eastman House screens both new and old movies at their Dryden Theatre.
This week – blizzards notwithstanding – Rochester denizens will be offered two dark 1949 Max Ophüls dramas:
- The absurd but engrossing The Reckless Moment, which pairs up James Mason with Joan Bennett.
- Caught, starring James Mason, Robert Ryan (as a Howard Hughes-like tycoon), and Barbara Bel Geddes.
‘Blue Velvet’ revisited
Also scheduled at the George Eastman House are the following:
- The brilliantly nightmarish Blue Velvet (1986).
Director: David Lynch.
Cast: Kyle MacLachlan. Laura Dern. A shamelessly over-the-top – but surprisingly effective – Dennis Hopper. Isabella Rossellini.
- 2010 Cannes Film Festival winner Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives.
Director: Apichatpong Weerasethakul.
- Read My Lips / Sur mes lèvres (2001).
Director: Jacques Audiard.
Cast: Vincent Cassel (Black Swan). Emmanuelle Devos. Olivier Gourmet.
Watch movies online
In case you don’t live in or near Rochester, you can catch several restored film presentations – mostly shorts and curiosities – on the George Eastman House website. Among these are:
- A 1944 Red Cross promo featuring three-time Oscar winner Ingrid Bergman (Best Actress for Gaslight, 1944, and Anastasia, 1956; Best Supporting Actress for Murder on the Orient Express, 1974).
- The entertaining 1934 film version of The Scarlet Pimpernel.
Director: Harold Young.
Cast: Leslie Howard. Merle Oberon.
- Gone with the Wind producer David O. Selznick’s indie-made Technicolor screwball comedy Nothing Sacred (1937).
Director: William A. Wellman.
Cast: Carole Lombard. Fredric March.
- The animated short The Old Family Toothbrush (1925), made in the short-lived Naturecolor process.
- The Lubin Manufacturing Company’s 1910 short Red Eagle’s Love Affair, about interethnic romantic yearning.
- Mary Pickford’s two-strip Technicolor test for The Black Pirate (1926), which starred her then husband Douglas Fairbanks. Seductive glances aside, Pickford looks quite good – though Fairbanks’ leading lady in that film turned out to be the younger and sultrier Billie Dove.
More on the George Eastman House
The information below is from the George Eastman House website:
The George Eastman House motion picture vaults conserve nearly 28,000 film titles dating from 1894 to the present. That translates to more than 93 million feet of film that embody an eclectic mix of genres: narrative features, shorts, documentaries, and trailers and an assortment of defiantly unclassifiable and sometimes quirky film orphans – industrial and educational films and even home movies.
Since we cannot screen everything in our Dryden Theatre, we have mined our vaults for favorite hidden treasures to showcase online. This addition to our website is the culmination of the Museum’s film preservation program, an initiative that has made Eastman House a leader in the field and the reason why so many of these rarities survive.
In keeping with Eastman House’s Dryden programming tradition, you will find a bit of everything, from the classic to the obscure. We will continue to add titles, so visit often.
James Mason and Joan Bennett The Reckless Moment image: Columbia Pictures.
Merle Oberon and Leslie Howard The Scarlet Pimpernel image: London Films / United Artists.
Berlin Film Festival competition line-up
In other news, the 2011 Berlin Film Festival runs Feb. 10–20. Below is the list of films in competition for the Golden Bear.
- A Torinoi Lo (The Turin Horse). Béla Tarr.
- Bizim Buyuk Caresizligimiz (Our Grand Despair). Seyfi Teoman.
- Coriolanus. Ralph Fiennes.
- El premio (The Prize). Paula Markovitch.
- Jodaeiye Nader az Simin (Nader and Simin / A Separation). Asghar Farhadi.
- Les contes de la nuit (Tales of the Night). Michel Ocelot.
- Lipstikka. Jonathan Sagall.
- Margin Call. J.C. Chandor.
- Saranghanda Saranghaji Anneunda (Come Rain Come Shine). Lee Yoon-ki.
- Schlafkrankheit (Sleeping Sickness). Ulrich Koehler.
- The Forgiveness of Blood. Joshua Marston.
- The Future. Miranda July.
- Un Mundo Misterioso (A Mysterious World). Rodrigo Moreno.
- V Subbotu (Innocent Saturday). Alexander Mindadze.
- Wer wenn nicht wir (If Not Us Who?). Andres Veiel.
- Yelling to the Sky. Victoria Mahoney.
Berlin Film Festival: Out of competition line-up
- Almanya. Yasemin Samdereli.
- Les femmes du 6eme etage (Service Entrance). Philippe Le Guay.
- Mein bester Freund (My Best Enemy). Wolfgang Murnberger.
- Pina. Wim Wenders.
- True Grit. Joel and Ethan Coen.
- Unknown. Jaume Collet-Serra.