TCM Cruise with Oscar winners Eva Marie Saint & Ernest Borgnine
Oscar winners Eva Marie Saint and Ernest Borgnine, The Birds actress Tippi Hedren, Oscar-nominated filmmaker Norman Jewison, and Turner Classic Movies hosts Robert Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz are some of the 2011 TCM Cruise passengers shown in the picture above. The group pic was posted on TCM's Twitter page, as the five-day TCM Cruise kicked off on Dec. 8.
Eva Marie Saint won the 1954 Best Supporting Actress Academy Award for her debut film performance as Marlon Brando's love interest in Elia Kazan's socially conscious drama On the Waterfront. Saint's other film credits include Fred Zinnemann's A Hatful of Rain (1957), Alfred Hitchcock's North by Northwest (1959), Otto Preminger's Exodus (1960), and John Frankenheimer's All Fall Down (1962) and Grand Prix (1966), and Garry Marshall's Nothing in Common (1986).
Ernest Borgnine took home the Best Actor Oscar for Delbert Mann's Best Picture winner Marty (1955). Among his other movies are Fred Zinnemann's From Here to Eternity (1953), Richard Brooks' The Catered Affair (1956), Delmer Daves' The Badlanders (1958), Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch (1969), and Ronald Neame's The Poseidon Adventure (1972).
Last year, Borgnine had a small role in Robert Schwentke's sleeper hit RED. And back in 1984, he and fellow TCM Cruise passenger Eva Marie Saint were both seen in (by then veteran) Delbert Mann's TV movie Love Leads the Way, also featuring Timothy Bottoms, Glynnis O'Connor, Arthur Hill, Susan Dey, Michael Anderson Jr., Ralph Bellamy, and Patricia Neal.
'The Birds' star Tippi Hedren
Tippi Hedren was discovered by Alfred Hitchcock – with whom she had a serious falling out later on. Her movies include the following:
- Hitchcock's The Birds (1963), opposite Rod Taylor, and Marnie (1964), opposite Sean Connery.
- A cameo in Charles Chaplin's A Countess from Hong Kong (1967), starring Marlon Brando and Sophia Loren.
- The female lead in R.G. Springsteen's Tiger by the Tail (1970), opposite Christopher George.
- Supporting roles in John Schlesinger's Pacific Heights (1990) and David O. Russell's I Heart Huckabees (2004).
Oscar-nominated director Norman Jewison
Norman Jewison has been nominated for three Best Director Academy Awards. All three movies were major box office hits:
- The socially conscious cop drama In the Heat of the Night (1967), the year's Best Picture Oscar winner, with Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger.
- The musical Fiddler on the Roof (1971), with Topol and Leonard Frey.
- The romantic comedy Moonstruck (1987), with Cher, Nicolas Cage, Olympia Dukakis, and Vincent Gardenia.
Norman Jewison's other movie credits include:
- The comedy/satire The Thrill of It All (1963), with Doris Day and James Garner.
- The poker-game drama The Cincinnati Kid (1965), with Steve McQueen, Ann-Margret, Edward G. Robinson, Tuesday Weld, and Joan Blondell.
- The Oscar-nominated The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming (1966), with Alan Arkin and Jewison's fellow TCM Cruise passenger Eva Marie Saint.
- The musical Jesus Christ Superstar (1973), with Ted Neeley as Jesus Christ, Carl Anderson as Judas Iscariot, and Yvonne Elliman as Mary Magdalene.
- The socio-psychological drama Agnes of God (1985), with Jane Fonda, Anne Bancroft, and Meg Tilly.
- The romantic comedy Only You (1994), with Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr.
- The widely panned biopic The Hurricane (1999), with Denzel Washington.
More TCM Cruise passengers: Robert Osborne & Ben Mankiewicz
A former actor with a handful of movie roles (e.g., uncredited bits in Spartacus and Twenty Plus Two), host Robert Osborne has become the “face” of Turner Classic Movies.
The other side of TCM's face is host Ben Mankiewicz, grandson of Citizen Kane co-screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz and grand-nephew of Joseph L. Mankiewicz (A Letter to Three Wives, All About Eve, Suddenly Last Summer).
Eva Marie Saint, Tippi Hedren, Ernest Borgnine, Norman Jewison, Robert Osborne, and Ben Mankiewicz TCM Cruise photo: E.M. Pio Roda / TCM © Turner Classic Movies.
Rod Steiger and Sidney Poitier In the Heat of the Night image: United Artists.
“TCM Cruise: Oscar Winners & Hitchcock Stars + Robert Osborne & Ben Mankiewicz” last updated in July 2018.